About Me

My photo
Jesus is greater than everything.

Thursday, February 23, 2012

Trigger Points

trigger pointnoun• Physiology Medicine a sensitive area of the body, stimulation or irritation of which causes a specific effect in another part, esp. a tender area in a muscle that causes generalized musculoskeletal pain when overstimulated
--
(what a cute definition)

I have few really bad trigger points (tightly banded-together muscles that restrict movement of blood), but the worst one is in the middle of my back, behind my right shoulder blade. This trigger point moves back-and-forth over a particular bone (possibly a rib..? I have no clue) and makes a popping noise whenever I do anything strenuous involving my scapluar region. While I've had this problem for about a year now, I just found out recently that the situation could get to the point that those muscles, if not properly released, will begin to function incorrectly on a regular basis. The massage therapist that explained this to me said that I should not do any upper body exercises other than extensive stretching for a few weeks until the tightness can be released. She gave me a few stretches/techniques to work towards that end, so I guess it's up to me to see if I can make it happen. Gonna be a process.

Trigger points are released (and in my case are loosened) by applying very specific pressure on the tightened muscle cluster for an extended amount of time. The pressure needed to separate the banded muscles results in a serious amount of discomfort and pain. My muscles have banded together so tightly that blood is not able to pass through them; but hopefully, constant stretching and pressing will loosen the muscles and free my blood to finally flow through them again. It's a wonderful thing to have a real diagnosis and a helpful solution to fixing my problem, but in this case, the truth literally hurts. It hurts a lot.

Here's what I'm learning:

Over the last four months, God has diagnosed and began working on a very long-ignored trigger point in my life of growing into selfless leader and godly man. Right about mid-October of 2011 things were great. I had recovered from a very stretching summer, and I felt like I had stabilized myself fairly well. However, when God began to feel around this trigger point, I began to squirm. In this area of my life, the blood of maturity had never flown through the way that it should. Looking back, this group of spiritual muscles has been tight and abnormally-functioning throughout my entire life.

My divine massage has been uncomfortable, unenjoyable, even depressing at times- but to the praise of His glorious grace, I can say with honesty that the blood is starting to flow. Not that these muscles are completely operational (or will ever be), but looking at journal entries, songs I've written, blog posts, and conversations with friends,  I've been able to identify how God's pushing on this trigger point has led to my clarity of thought and changed life.

But I'm still in process... (obviously). Just the other day I had one of those moments where I thought, "Why do I do the same exact thing again and again after having learned the hard way like fifty times." I don't want to be the guy that never learns, but I guess that's sanctification.

Here's what I want whoever reads this to come away with:

Be encouraged! We all have trigger points. Blind spots, propensities towards particular sins, specific areas of struggle, we all have them. It has been helpful for me to think of the times of confusion and frustration as spiritual trigger points- tight muscles that have constricted so that the truth of the power, beauty, and satisfaction in God and His Gospel has stopped flowing, thereby parching my soul.

If you are His son or daughter, He will put His finger on those trigger points at some time in your life. It will hurt. You'll get discouraged. It will take time. Just remember that He is tenderizing your injured muscles so that they will finally be able to work again.

Expect the trigger points to get pressed on and worked out. Expect it. In time, I promise that He will make all of His true children more like Himself, and that's an awesome thing.

I know this is one of the most well-known Bible verses of all time, but I hope that this discussion gives it even just a little more meaning than before!

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose. For those whom he foreknew he also predestined to be conformed to the image of his Son, in order that he might be the firstborn among many brothers. (Romans 8:28-29)

He is my hope.

.DSN. 

1 comment: