About Me

My photo
Jesus is greater than everything.

Friday, July 8, 2011

The Gospel and Legalism - Introduction (Read First)

If you've been following my FaceBook or Twitter status updates, you may notice that I've been thinking a lot lately about the Gospel. This preoccupation with the Good News has been encouraged by listening to Tullian Tchividjian, the preaching pastor at Coral Ridge Presbyterian Church in Fort Lauderdale, Florida. Through this transformation of beginning to see everything in life through the lens of the Gospel, I've realized how Legalism is not just a category of people that have a lot of rules or perhaps stress personal holiness (which is not bad)- Legalism is the natural state of every person everywhere, regardless of theological bent or denominational upbringing.

I write this introduction knowing that some may disagree with what I say for various reasons. For the purpose of promoting one-mindedness (and my desire to not be misunderstood), I would like to mitigate those reasons to the best of my ability for the furtherance of the Gospel and the ministry of grace. To accomplish such an end, I plan on carefully defining, or redefining, these key terms of "Gospel" and "Legalism" and work with said definitions for the clarity of those who read and for my own lucidity of thought.

Lastly, while I will do my very best to make these posts readable on their own merit, I ask that this set of posts specifically be read in order of parts (Part 1, 2, then 3), because I want to build my case from the ground, up. My plan of attack is as follows-

Part 1 - Explain the Gospel and how the Gospel is not synonymous with evangelism
Part 2 - Explain Legalism and dispel the myth that only a small sect of rule-keepers are Legalists
Part 3 - Explain how the Gospel works to solve the problem of Legalism through the Unconditional Grace of God

I hope that these posts will be a blessing, and that my attitude and tone will only promote the building of the body of Christ. Each one of these posts has been, is, and will be bathed in prayer and input from many spiritual leaders far more godly than I am- and in some cases, I may just parrot phrases/ideas not original to me at all (not like I've ever done it in the past either...) :)

God Is Our Hope

3 comments:

  1. I've been thinking about something very similar for a while. It could mean the same thing you're saying. It concerns the law: both the old testiment law of moses and also our own made up laws. Legalism is something that every human creates an idol out of. The way Ive thought about it for a few years is that people always want to live by some sort of law. And almost all laws these days are human made laws. But they're doing the same thing with these laws that Paul talks a lot about in many of his letters about the people who were trying to keep the old testiment law. It all stems back to pride and they use laws to feel better about themselves. Its almost like our hearts are always screaming-"i feel this is right, and this is wrong, so i will impose my views on those around me to join my view so that i will be comforted and feel like a better person from it." No law, state of mind or philosophy can save us from anything-only following Jesus by living life out the way he did while he was on earth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think that the attitude I see sometimes about people not wanting any restrictions on their behavior under the guise of "I'm not under law" is something to be considered. Who wants shackles? I still think God showed much grace in giving the law to His people of Israel because otherwise He would have had no way to communicate with mankind and have His glory seen.

    But I do admit that, after reading only about half of Leviticus so far, the sacrifical laws were a lot. Jesus is so far better. The law is our schoolmaster. I think that picture is of a person guiding a child to school, to the teacher. As I picture this, I think the schoolmaster would have talked to the child about the Teacher. He would protect the child from himself until the Teacher would have a way to protect and guide him in his heart. But the schoolmaster can't even compare to the Teacher. But because of the compassion and care of the Teacher, He even gives a schoolmaster. He ordained the schoolmaster. How kind!

    As far as the law in the 10 commandments. These clearly show us the mind of God for man. I think we have to not disdain these laws. Jesus didn't disdain them. He just got at the heart of the issue, which is the heart. He doesn't want sacrifice and offering or prideful adherence to rules. The sacrifices of God are a broken and contrite heart. Sarah had a gentle and quiet spirit which was precious in the eyes of God.

    My thoughts for now.
    PJS

    ReplyDelete